The Fair Share Housing Center needs our help to encourage Governor Christie to sign the Sandy Bill of Rights into law. Please join them in this important step toward ensuring that New Jerseyans affected by Superstorm Sandy do not face unnecessary obstacles on the road to recovery.
On March 27, the New Jersey State Legislature reached bipartisan agreement, and the Sandy Bill of Rights passed unanimously in both houses. This significant legislation bestows the following rights on New Jerseyans applying for Sandy recovery funds:
- The right to a plain language explanation of the application process for any recovery funds
- The right to know why an application is rejected and to appeal that rejection with a specified timeframe
- The right to know current status of an application and position on any wait list
- The right to access information in English, Spanish, and any other language spoken by impacted communities
- The right to a review of racial and ethnic disparities in funding and corrections of any problems
- The right to have funds distributed by amount of damage and not based on political or other considerations
- The right to transparent information online about how funds are being distributed
Please click here to send a letter to Governor Christie urging him to sign this important piece of legislation into law.
To read the bill in its entirety, click here.