We are happy to report that the senate passed SCR128 (the vote was 30 – 0) along with an acceptable version of S946 (the vote was 28 – 5! But our work is not over.
Our coalition partners are joining to pressure the Assembly to also act. It’s extremely important that we continue to apply pressure on the Assembly Speaker to post an acceptable version of A1910 without delay. The last day for real, comprehensive bail reform to pass is MONDAY, AUGUST 4. Therefore, please call the Speaker’s office again per the instructions below:
Please express your excitement with the senate’s action today and encourage the assembly to follow suit. Assembly Speaker Vincent Prieto can be reached at 201-770-1303, please respectfully:
- Urge him to join his senate colleagues and pass historic bail reform in New Jersey.
- Encourage him to post the constitutional amendment (ACR177/SCR128) along with an acceptable version of the bill (A1910/S946) without further delay.
- Emphasize that an acceptable version of the bill would mean amending A1910 to mirror the latest version of S946.
- Explain that real bail reform removes money as the primary mechanism of pretrial release, requires the use of risk assessments on arrestees with higher level charges, authorizes the release of low-risk individuals under the least restrictive conditions possible, and permits the absolute detention of those who are truly dangerous.
- Reiterate your support for comprehensive bail reform which moves our broken bail system away from money towards pretrial decisions based on risk.
- Conclude your call by stating that you’re hopeful that he will do what’s in the best interest of public safety and justice.
When making the phone call, please:
- Ask to speak with the Assemblyman’s Chief of Staff or Legislative Aide.
- State your name, where in NJ you live and if applicable, the organization and/or congregation you represent.
- If you, your organization and/or congregation are located in the Assemblyman’s district, please make sure to state that up front during your call. The following municipalities are in his district: East Newark, Edgewater, Fairview, Guttenberg, Harrison (Hudson county), Kearny, North Bergen, Secaucus, and West New York.
- Please try to call during normal business hours, but if not, make sure to leave a detailed message.
- Follow-up your call with an email to the Speaker’s office detailing your discussion and reiterating your position urging him to take legislative action on bail reform. Please send your email to AsmPrieto@njleg.org.
Please notify all of your friends, family and colleagues in New Jersey of this call to action so we can make the biggest impact possible!
Thank you for your help.