Welcome to the new legislative session!
Advocates from across New Jersey have been working with Senate President Sweeney to respond to the ongoing problems created by the termination of the extended Emergency Assistance program for individuals with disabilities. On January 28, the Anti Poverty Network; Steve Leder, Senior Attorney from the Community Health Law Project; and Staci Berger, President and CEO of the Housing and Community Development Network of New Jersey, stood with Senate President Sweeney as he announced his proposed legislation to address this issue and provide a permanent housing solution for the state’s most vulnerable residents.
The proposed legislation will be heard in the Senate Health, Human Services, and Senior Citizens Committee this Thursday, February 4. We need your help to make sure the bill moves forward:
- Please email and/or call members of the Senate committee. You may email individually or send a message to the entire committee.
- Vitale, Joseph F. – Chair ; (732) 855-7441; (732) 855-7441; email@example.com
- Madden, Fred H. – Vice-Chair; (856) 232-6700; (856) 232-6700(Turnersville); (856) 401-3073(856) 401-3073 (Laurel Springs); SenMadden@njleg.org
- Addiego, Dawn Marie; (609) 654-1498; (609) 654-1498; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Allen, Diane B.; (856) 314-8835(856); 314-8835; email@example.com
- Codey, Richard J.; (973) 535-5017; (973) 535-5017; SenCodey@njleg.org
- Gordon, Robert M.; (201) 703-9779; (201) 703-9779(Fair Lawn); (201) 374-2205(201) 374-2205(Bergenfield); firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rice, Ronald L.; (973) 371-5665 (973) 371-5665; email@example.com
- Singer, Robert W.; (732) 987-5669; (732) 987-5669; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Whelan, Jim; (609) 383-1388; (609) 383-1388; email@example.com
Here is a sample message: I’m a voter in New Jersey and I’m calling to urge you to vote in favor of Senate President Sweeney’s Emergency Assistance bill which will ensure that individuals with long-term disabilities are not pushed into homelessness as the result of arbitrary time limits on housing aid. This bill represents an important protection against the devastations of poverty and I hope you will support it. Thank you.
- Come to the committee hearing and show your support for this legislation! The committee meets at 11 am on February 4, in Committee Room 4, First Floor, State House Annex, in Trenton. I will be there to represent the Unitarian Universalist community and hope to see you there.