Will you be one of the New Jersey UUs in Newark this Saturday? So far we have 12 congregations being represented! Here is the latest information:
- The March will begin with speakers at 12:00. The march will step off at 1:30 PM. It will be followed by more speakers at the end. If you have trouble standing for long periods of time and don’t intend to march, you may want to bring a portable folding chair;
- If you would like to march with UU’s from around the state, meet on the corner of University Ave. and West Market Street. We will begin gathering at 11:00. We will have the UULMNJ Black Lives Matter banner and signs for you to carry or you can get inspired and create your own. Be visible! Wear your Standing on the Side of Love gear if you have any. Please bring paper tube rolls (like from wrapping paper) to post and carry the signs. Also bring water, sun block if needed, and sustenance;
- The actual march will be 3 miles in length —1.5 miles to the Federal Building at 970 Broad Street and back. You can join all or half of the event. If you would like a map of the area and route click here for a PDF;
- If you are taking the train to Newark Penn Station (highly recommended), the site is approximately a 6 block walk from Penn Station on Market Street;
- Another option is to park at the Grove Street Park & Ride lot in Bloomfield then take the Light Rail from Grove Street to Washington Street. This station is two blocks from the monument. Daily parking rates at the Grove lot are $2. Light rail fair is $1.50 adult and $0.70 senior one way;
- If you plan to drive there is paid parking throughout the neighborhood. Bus parking has been designated in Lot A on West Market Street. To get to the neighborhood using a GPS system use 303 University Avenue (Essex County College) or 50 West Market Street (Veterans Courthouse);
- Just a reminder, this is a grass roots effort. There are no corporate sponsors or celebrities. It is truly power to the people by the people. Accordingly, there will be a voluntary collection taken before the march to help defray costs. So if someone approaches you with a bucket for contributions, please help out.
- The latest information will be here on this website;
- Please help us count the UU representation and register!