Below is important updated information about the People’s Climate March. Please be sure to note the new meeting place on 58th street between 8th and 9th Ave. Also, if you have a contingent from your congregation going together, please let us know at director@UULMNJ.org.
The following is from Peggy Clark, our Racial and Social Justice Consultant:
Unitarian Universalists are part of the Faith Contingent which is made up of every religious group you could name. (Really, it’s wildly impressive.) We are gathering on 58th between 8th and 9th. There will be a sign on that block so we can find each other easily. We should all be wearing our Standing on the Side of Love t-shirts if we have them. (Or pick up a goldenrod colored shirt at a local craft store if you don’t have one)
- 8:00: the streets will be blocked and ready for us to begin to convene.
- 10:30: the internationally acclaimed cellist Michael Fitzpatrick will play for us.
- 11:00: there will be a multi-faith prayer service in which Rev. Peter Morales is likely to have a role. (That’s right- 10,000 people representing dozens of faith traditions praying together.)
After the service is over, each group will engage their own practice. For instance, the Quakers and Buddhists have requested to be near each other to support their desire for a time for silence. The Muslims will have midday prayer and the Jewish contingent will blow their shofars before we step out and into the March.
- 1:00: we will begin to march. The route ends on 11th and 42nd. For those for whom this is too far to walk we have set up a mid-point to join up.
Don’t forget to register at the UU Meetup to help UUA track the number of people representing.
Let your Facebook friends know where you’ll be! Join and share our event!
There is a CODE OF CONDUCT for the March.
View in detail at the above link. But keep these things in mind:
- Do not bring any amplified sound systems.
- Do not bring signs, banners or flags that are carried on wooden sticks or metal rods, only cardboard tubing or string is allowed.
- Do not weigh yourself down with unnecessary clothing or other items that you will have to carry all day long…travel lightly.
UULMNJ has had signs printed for this and other Environmental Task Force events. If you’d like to carry one, find us! We will send one more update/reminder next week. In the mean time, have fun planning!